Beginning in the 1940s, a small group of Episcopalians in Fredericksburg worshipped in each other’s homes before they purchased one of the oldest houses in town – the Walter family home. Among the first group of German immigrants in 1846, the Walter family did not complete the fachwerk house until 1853. Peter Walter owned and farmed the surrounding land while plying his trade of wagoner from Fort Martin Scott. After making the necessary repairs, the congregation held their first worship service in September 1954 and worshipped there until the new church was finished in January 1965. Bishop Everett H. Jones consecrated the mission and named it after St. Barnabas, because it had been purchased on June 11, 1954, St. Barnabas Day.